Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Slow Down and Be Patient

Trees in my backyard. A reminder of patience.
I picked my mom up from the train station today and after the train pulled in I noticed nearly everybody running and rushing and hurrying out. I kept thinking to myself, everybody is running, everybody is in a hurry. I wanted to step outside of my car and shout at them to relax, slow down. I knew they were running to their cars to get ahead of the traffic that would soon build up, but all I could think of was, just slow down for a minute. I wanted everybody to hear me and just stop. Just stop everything they were doing for a moment. And then carry on slowly.

I thought about how their work days are lived. Rushed, stressed, hectic, busy, mindless. I think about how I don't want to live like that.

I am practicing patience. I'm generally a pretty impatient person - I get it from my dad. And I know that I do not want to house that trait. I told my mom to remind me each time I'm being impatient, to be patient. This morning on my way to work I had only a few minutes left to get there and there was traffic bumper to bumper. I could feel a sensation of impatience creeping up inside of me, but I combated it by simply reminding myself that getting worked up over it would not make the cars move any faster. And you know what? The cars seemed to move a lot faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note! I'd love to hear from you :-)