Thursday, June 6, 2013

healing


I am feeling good these days! Did you know our digestive system and brain are very intricately connected?

Back in 2011 I suffered a bacterial infection causing me a hefty case of gastroenteritis. Since then I've struggled with a disturbing degree of all that encompasses a typical malfunctioning digestive system. Among a myriad of issues, I developed many food intolerances that if eaten, left me bloated with severe, stitching abdominal pains and a swelling sensation that would span the entire surface area of my intestinal tract.

Although the infection has since been dealt with, I still left with the aftermath.

Grains, sugar, legumes, lentils and dairy are the main foods I feel worst on. I can tolerate some organic goat cheese, however. The foods I thrive on are vegetables, all varieties of leafy greens, sea veggies, most fruits, meat, fish and good quality fats. Since I've eliminated grains from my diet I feel so. much. better. My digestive system is quiet and peaceful and things are just so much better for me.

I'm actually grateful that I've been faced with the need to refrain from eating grains because I have learned so much about not needing to consume them in the first place, regardless of whether or not I had a digestive catastrophe. I'll share more on that in the future, perhaps on my website's wellness blog. For now, I know how important it is that we listen to our body's valuable messages. We are extraordinarily wise! My eating habits have changed quite a bit over the past few years and although I wouldn't say I follow a vegetarian diet at this time like I used to, I will never stop putting an emphasis on eating an abundance of plant-based foods. They make up at least 3/4 of my meals (might I add, mashed sweet potato with cinnamon is DIVINE!) It's all about doing what's right for you.

In conjunction with eating simpler and nourishing my digestive tract through foods, I've also been taking a couple supplements to strengthen and support the integrity of my gut, too. These include Glutamine powder once a day (an amino acid -- a very important friend for strengthening our intestinal lining, among many other benefits) and probiotics. I take Genestra's HMF powder, one scoop, once in the morning. Managing my stress levels is a big deal for me also. I'm an anxious gal and anxiety + gut = enemies.

I have plans to do juice fasting once I figure out the appropriate time for it. I felt really good doing my small watermelon flush the other day, which consisted of just eating watermelon. Simplicity is key for a sensitive gut.

In health & healing...
Meghan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note! I'd love to hear from you :-)