Monday, January 31, 2011

Pearls and Raw Vegan Cacao Truffles

















My dad went to Las Vegas last week and he brought us home a few things. He brought me a box. And in the box was a can, which looked like a can of tuna. And in the can was an oyster. And I was to pry open the oyster. And inside the oyster was... a pearl! Isn't that so neat? The little gift came with a chain and a teensy little wee metal cage to place the pearl. It was instantly very sentimental to me, as I can already invision myself passing this necklace on through my future family generations... how beautiful!

I am very much so enjoying raw foods and veganism, as I feel just splendid. I'm ultra-connected to the Earth and I feel overflowed with joy and peace that flows freely through my life. I'm very in tune with my Divine or Higher Self and veganism is just a beautiful addition to my super eternal being. Want to know what's even cooler about being spiritual and feeling connected to the Universe? You allow your passions to guide you and more easily surrender to life's flow. Which I have done! In one of my previous posts I talked about how I had an epiphany and have decided to follow my dreams NOW rather than LATER! Releasing fear and all that lovely stuff. I am officially enrolled in school to study Holistic Nutrition, and I couldn't be more excited - not only to begin pursuing my dreams and goals, but because I listened to my heart and my intuition, and I am allowing it to flow freely, like releasing sand from your fist, through my life.

Today I made some raw vegan cacao coconut truffles and I would like to share this marvelous recipe. I am not exaggerating when I say that these little guys taste exactly, if not better, than your typical full-butter, sugar-loaded chocolate goodies. The only difference is that these are actually extremely nutritious, and well, a hell of a lot simpler and quicker than baking!:


















  • 3 cups walnuts or pecans
  • 1 cup medjool dates (about 14 or so, these are what make the truffles sweet!)
  • 5-6 tbsp raw organic cacao (not cocoa, CACAO - the rawest, purest form of chocolate)
  • 1-2 tbsp flaxseeds, hempseeds, goji berries (These are totally optional but are awesome. You can throw in anything that you think would be nice!)
  • 1/2 cup water (for blending the nuts and dates together - only if you are using a blender)
  • About a cup of shredded organic coconut
I used a blender because I don't have a food processor, but if you have one then by all means go wild.
Place the nuts in the blender and blend them up. Add the water and the dates and puree it all together. Add the flaxseeds or whatever fun ingredients you choose. Add the cacao. (You can add a tbsp or two of the shredded coconut into the mixture if you want it in the truffles) Blend.
Pour the mixture into a bowl and place in the freezer for about 30 mins. The mixture will be on the gooey side so it's just a good idea to firm it up a bit.
Begin rolling the mixture into little balls in the shredded coconut, and you're done! Keep them in the freezer to keep them firm. So quick and absolutely decadent and delicious. Makes 20-25 truffles.

All of these ingredients are highly nutritious. Especially the raw cacao. Cacao, chocolate in it's purest form, is extremely high in antioxidants - moreso than red wine, blueberries and green tea. It's also very rich in zinc, magnesium and beta-carotene. An absolute superfood for sure. It's great to add to a smoothie or anything to make something super duper :)

Hope whoever tries this enjoys it! Well you will for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note! I'd love to hear from you :-)